This afternoon Ellen and Adam met with local residents and AMSSA to discuss the Greens jobs and housing plans.
You can read more about our plans below.
Inner-city Melbourne has the highest number of public housing residents in Australia, but Liberal and Labor have not supported public housing and things are getting worse.
The Greens will:
• Stop the Liberals’ plan to privatise and sell-off large swathes of public housing.
• Build more public housing.
• Create a Housing Ombudsman so tenants have somewhere to go with complaints or disputes.
• Invest more in maintenance and security for public housing.
BETTER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
If elected, the Greens use our power in the Parliament to:
• Amend the Public Administration Act of 2004 to set targets for the Victorian Public Sector to employ more people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities and people with a disability, to ensure migrants and people from refugee backgrounds have more access to employment.
• Fund a one-stop shop run by the local community to help connect migrant job-seekers with training, employment, and to get their qualifications recognised in Australia.
• Give incentives to employers to employ people from CALD communities and people with a disability.
• Encourage the manufacture more public transport and renewable energy here in Victoria to create jobs.
A FAIRER AND MORE LIVEABLE MELBOURNE
• Invest in better healthcare and education for everyone, not just the wealthy, including $200 million for a new Women’s and Children’s
- Centre at Sunshine Hospital to give a better deal for those in the western suburbs.
• Create new laws to protect our parks and open space from big developments.
• Support the new pedestrian crossing on Boundary Road.
• Invest in our public schools, including $10 million for Carlton Primary School for facilities and buildings upgrades.
The Greens have many other policies to create a fairer society. For more information, visit www.ellensandell.com/policies
Adam Bandt has been a strong local member who has helped solve over one thousand visa, housing and other issues for local people. Having a Greens MP at the state level can help us fix our housing crisis, create more public transport and create a better education and health system. The Greens will make sure Labor actually delivers on their promises. We will stand up for a fairer society.